[Elist] MORE INFO ON ETHANOL

John Del Santo mcbwaycool at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 19:12:30 PDT 2011

There was some conversation going around last week regarding the use of Alcohol in Gasoling (Ethanol) and whether it was good or bad for our engines.
The common thought is that the gasoline that has 10 percent alcohol isnt doing harm to our engines,  just getting a lower Miles Per Gallon.       The Feds are allowing E-15 to be used for certain vehicles.  ( see below ) and that is a blend,  fifteen percent corn alcohol,  that definitely do harm to our motorcycle engines, especially to air-cooled engines.  This is why we need go contact our representatives to ask them to SUPPORT HR 748.    Check the ABATE Website or the ABATE Local 6 website to get the addresses of your representatives.

Bill introduced to prohibit EPA from authorizing use of gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol
Take Action!
Urge your Representative to support today!
On February 28, 2011, Representative Jim Sensenbrenner (R-WI) introduced H.R. 748. This bill would prohibit the Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) from authorizing the use of gasoline containing greater than 10 percent ethanol in certain vehicles.
In addition to Rep. Sensenbrenner, Reps. Tom Petri (R-WI), Tom McClintock (R-CA), Jeff Flake (R-AZ), Dennis Ross (R-FL) and Wally Herger (R-CA) are original cosponsors.

The Energy and Environment Subcommittee of the House Science, Space and Technology Committee, chaired by Rep. Andy Harris (R-MD), will be holding a hearing entitled "Hitting the Ethanol Blend Wall: Examining the Science on E15" on July 7 at 2:00 pm EDT. To watch a live webcast of the hearing, click here.
In October 2010 the EPA approved E15, a new gasoline formulation that contains up to 15 percent alcohol by volume, for use in model year 2007 and newer light duty vehicles (cars, light-duty trucks, and medium-duty passenger vehicles). In January 2011, it added model year 2001-2006 light duty vehicles to the approved list.
As a motorcyclist, you need to be very careful because currently most on- or off-highway motorcycles and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) are not approved for use of this fuel.

The heat generated by E-15 will damage motorcycle engines, especially air-cooled engines

    So here is what I have…………………  I spoke to a man yesterday from the CA.  Environmental Protection Administration who said that if I was buying gasoline in California,  then I was certainly burning a blend containing ten percent Corn Alcohol/ Ethanol (E-10).   If you go down to your neighborhood gas station you will see a tag on the glass face of the pump.  This tag is ½ inch high, and 2 ½ inches wide,  telling you that your fuel contains up to ten percent Ethanol.      Bring a magnifying glass with you to read it.     This has been in effect for some years, having been raised from a six percent level.    He said that if anyone is trying to enter an E-15 proposal,  they are looking for at least a couple of years down the road,  maybe more in California , considering our environmental laws.
We should not expect government agencies to be on our side,  as blended gasoline with Ethanol gets  LESS Miles Per Gallon, therefore burns MORE gasoline on a trip,  requiring you to buy MORE gallons of gasoline, and pay MORE  fuel taxes per mile.  $$$$$$$$$$$$
Follow up,  Call your representative.

John Del Santo
(619) 223 - 0421

"QUESTION AUTHORITY"