[Elist] The Campaign Trail

John Del Santo mcbwaycool at yahoo.com
Sat May 14 14:01:46 PDT 2011

My 2 cents:

Bad legislation comes from bad legislators. Same goes for regulation and enforcement of helmet laws, which are a byproduct of legislation.

Fact: About 75% of governors, Federal appointees (regulators), and congressmen started out as state legislators. And many of them won their first elections by a handful of votes.

Consider this: About 10 years ago, an unknown community organizer was the only nominee for an unchallenged state senate seat ... by virtue of 237 petition signatures. And now, he's President of the United States.

Holler about the laws and regs, and nothing will change. We're too far downstream, and have no leverage. But start at the headwaters of the state legislature, and the problem goes away. If we had gotten started about 10 years ago, we wouldn't even have FMVSS-218 now.

Nip them in the bud.

See you on the campaign trail.

Douglas Findlay
Local 6 PAC Represenstative